Dental Exam and Cleaning
A comprehensive dental exam and cleaning will be performed by Dr. Lehmann and one of our hygienists at your initial visit at our office and at subsequent regular interval check up and cleaning appointments. Your visit will include the following:
• A complete review of your past dental histories. A thorough review of your medical history will be updated at each visit.
• Examination of diagnostic x-rays. This is essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help to determine tooth and root positions.
• Oral cancer screening includes checking the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
• Gum disease evaluation includes checking the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
• All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay.
• Complete charting of all existing restorations will be completed at your initial visit and updated as needed at all subsequent visits.
• A thorough dental cleaning to remove all types of deposits: plaque (soft, bacterial film), tartar (hardened plaque), and stains.
• The type of cleaning performed is determined by several factors: Length of time since last cleaning, condition of gums, and amount of deposits on the teeth. Your hygienist will discuss with you her assessment of your cleaning needs and answer any questions you may have.
Preventative dental care is an important part of our family and general dental care program.